16. Cancer Diaries - The Next Phase of the Project

Hello reader, if you remember where I left things I had just completed my 16 sessions of Chemo and was ready for a well deserved rest. Well, a few days later we found ourselves back on a plane, heading to Kos in Greece. This was one of the last important dates on my Life Spreadsheet and it arrived 4 days after the last Chemo treatment - perfect timing! 

We arrived in Greece on the Friday to spend the night and then the next day collected a yacht and skipper from the marina and set sail around the Dodecanese Islands. A truly fabulous escape and would recommend it to anyone. You have the choice to anchor up in a quiet bay or harbour for the night and watch the sun go down. We did have some windy weather which created 2 metre waves at times. I'm pleased to report that I wasn't sea sick at all. Let's face it, I wasn't sick throughout my Chemo sessions, I wasn't going to start now. 

Returning back to Blighty meant a full return to all things Cancer related, and namely preparing for the next phase. I was straight into a MRI on the Monday. My veins had had a chance to recover slightly so finding a vein to put dye in, as part of the procedure, wasn't too much of a trial. 

A week of so later came the next batch of tests, namely the Mammogram and Ultrasound. The Doctor doing my Ultrasound said how lucky I had been. The Chemo really had done its job and had managed to zap the tumours in my breast and lymph nodes. It was, in medical terms, an excellent response. 

During the Ultrasound the aim is to find the metal marker clips that were inserted during the initial breast clinic biopsies. The one in the breast is larger and easier to find. The other which was inserted into my lymph node seems to have disappeared from sight. Fair enough, it's a millimetre in size, so hard to see, but because my lymph nodes have shrunk back down it their normal shape, it's made things harder to locate. 

Tests completed, I was ready to catch up with the Project Manager, the surgeon. This after all, was now his phase of the overall delivery. The tests showed a complete response from the treatment so I am in the best possible place for surgery. 

The surgery will focus on removing the clips and taking a margin of healthy tissue around it. The tissue will then be tested to check it is all clear of any cancer cells. If some cells are spotted then I would need a further surgery to take another nibble of flesh, and test again. The aim is to take a small amount of tissue away which should mean that the affected puppy won't look too lopsided compared to the other. 

As for the affected lymph nodes, seeing as the marker clip can't be found, they have decided to take the main lymph node away, with surrounding ones which were affected, about 4 in total, and have them tested. If the main lymph node is clear of cancer cells then I'll be in a good place. Keep those fingers crossed people. 

This week I have had pre-op appointments, with swabs, blood and covid tests taken. I'm ready to go. 

Let's take a moment to talk about the over the shoulder boulder holder, also known as bra. Yes folks, that has to change for a few months. I could invest in a post surgery bra - hmm, delightful and rather limited I feel, or I was also allowed the option of a supporting sports bra. Sports bra it is then. 

I'll have a cut on my boob and also in my armpit from the surgery which will give me limited movement for a while. I've been recommended to take at least 2 weeks recovery leave, and for once in my life I'm going to listen to that advice. See, the learning curve might be shallow but I am learning. 

I'm writing this on surgery day. I've already enjoyed a full English breakfast before having to fast from 09:30. I'm hoping this will keep me going. 

I've got a few more minutes of being able to drink water before it's nil by mouth for the rest of the day. Ugh, that's doing to be hard. 

I'm also leaving in a few minutes to head to Outpatients for the first step of the procedure, having guidewires inserted via local anesthetic, before heading around the corner to the main hospital for the main surgery. I'll be staying in over night and hopefully released tomorrow afternoon. 

Before I go, I wanted to mention how the Computer Futures team are doing a 5K walk/run on Thursday 3rd November in aid of Cancer Research and a nod to my personal cancer journey. If you have something to spare then please find a moment to donate via this link: 

Just Giving

Thank you. Best go. See you on the other side. x


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

15 November 2023 - In memory of Gemma Blezard

24. Cancer Diaries - Project Closure