4. Cancer Diaries - Requirements Gathering

The following week, after the first meeting my surgeon, I book myself in for a range of tests. These are to fully assess the situation so the medical team know what they are dealing with.

My first test is to take blood. For this simple procedure alone I am grateful for Private Health. The beloved NHS is on its knees and trying to get a blood test is a struggle, let alone any other treatment. 4 vials were taken of my blood and duly tested. Having been a regular blood donor in the past this is not a difficult task for me, but I still won't look at the needle going into my arm. 

The results from the blood work show that I am in good health, all be it, with cancer. I don't have diabetes and my vitamin D level is spot on. It would seem that vitamin D is the darling of the vitamins currently, having been heavily promoted during the pandemic days but it also provides benefits for cancer patients too. 

The next test was to have a PET-CT scan. This is done to identify if the caner has spread anywhere else in my body. I had to visit the London Hospital for this one so off I popped on the train. The scanning department was located in the basement of this building. I got changed into a gown, removed all metal and sat in a private room. 

I was soon joined by a member of the team who brought with her a lead-lined box. Inside was a special, very wide syringe, with a small needle. I was to be injected with nuclear medicine that would make me radio active. The person administering it didn't want to be anywhere near it but it seemed fine to inject me with this solution. Make sense of that if you will. I then had to wait for 1 hour to let this substance filter around my body before the scan began.

An hour later I'm in the scanning machine. You do not want to be a large person as these machines are cosy. I felt snuggly surrounded by technology and the roof of the scanner only inches from my face. The internal ceiling of the scanner had wiggly patterns. A spot of entertainment for the eyes. 20 mins or so later it was all done and as a reward I was offered a sandwich. I had to fast for 6 hours prior to the scan so the food was very welcome. 

I was told that I would be radio active for 6 hours after the scan so I would need to stay away from pregnant women and small children. I returned to London Bridge station and as I stood quietly on the platform waiting for my train to arrive a woman and her child stood right behind me. Argh! I quickly wandered down the platform before my new found super power could infect others. I say super power, but I think was more like the 'Ready Brek Kid' glow. If you're British of a certain age then you'd understand.

The results from the PET-CT scan were to show that my cancer is currently in 2 places, my breast and lymph nodes as already discovered. It hasn't yet continued its journey through my body. This is a positive piece of news. This is the reason why chemo is prescribed as my first phase of treatment. It is used as a 'catch all', to identify and kill any other possible cancer sites that haven't established themselves yet. 

The third test was a MRI. I've had a MRI before when I had a broken back so I knew the drill for this one, or so I thought. I walked up to the private hospital for the scan. I was asked to put on a robe and remove any metal. Last time I lay with my back on the 'scanner bed'. This time I had to be face down as the scanner camera is on the bed. Who knew? 

Another fun fact for when they take a scan of your boobs is that they ask you to undo your robe and plop your boobs into a special frame so that you are positioned for the camera. The frame was huge, they are obviously trying to cater for all sizes, but seriously I got back ache with trying to arch myself into this contraption. 

The scan begins and I am asked to maintain a position like superman in flight for around 15-20 minutes duration. I am given headphones and I listen to Capital Radio, with interjections of a recorded voice telling me, "the next scan will be for 2 minutes" and such like, before the next round of bings and dings kicks off. I'm also injected with a dye that travels around my blood vessels as part of the scan. 

At the end of the scan I have the cannula removed from my arm for the injection to find that I have bled out a bit and the scan bed frame is looking like a crime scene. I'm also cleaned up so I don't scare passers-by as I walk home.

The aim of the MRI was to check in more detail the condition of my boobs. The results confirm the lump that has been found and also find another in the same breast but this one might be pre-cancerous. There is also one in my right boob but this might be just normal lumpy tissue or a cyst. Another reason for the catch-all chemo. 

The last test was another Ultrascan before I saw my surgeon for the 2nd time. This was a surprise addition but it was all part of the belt and braces process. This scan looked deeper at the 2 breasts and lymph nodes on my left side, taking tracking points, possibly to be used as measurements to be analysed against as treatment is given and hopefully to see the cancer shrinking. 

Tests completed for now, I can move onto the next step of the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 November 2023 - In memory of Gemma Blezard

24. Cancer Diaries - Project Closure

16. Cancer Diaries - The Next Phase of the Project